Matthew Edwards

Associate Professor of Voice, Shenandoah Conservatory Artistic Director of the CCM Vocal Pedagogy Institute

College Prep: A few of the nation’s top high school musical theatre performers

I meet a lot of teachers of high school students who want to know why their clients aren’t getting into top musical theatre programs. It is a great question and … Continue reading

December 1, 2017 · 2 Comments

Mix it up Monday: Preparing students for the audition room

Audition season is upon us. Colleges are looking for new students, summer stocks are trying to cast their season, and theatres are wrapping up casting for spring shows. While in … Continue reading

November 27, 2017 · Leave a comment

Mix it up Monday: A few thoughts from Cornelius Reid on designing vocal exercises

In chapter 7 of “The Free voice: A guide to natural singing,” Cornelius Reid discusses his views on vocal exercises. Reid says that all exercises must be “constructed with four … Continue reading

November 20, 2017 · Leave a comment

Mix it up Monday: Empowering students to find their own musical theatre rep

Finding repertoire is one of the biggest challenges for voice teachers who train musical theatre performers. In the classical world, teachers are often expected to be the ones who find … Continue reading

November 13, 2017 · 6 Comments

Mix it up Monday: Thinking about body type and age when teaching breath management

In Your Voice: An Inside View, Dr. Scott McCoy identifies three types of inhalation patterns: clavicular, thoracic, and abdominal. In a clavicular breath, the singer elevates the upper chest by lifting … Continue reading

November 6, 2017 · 5 Comments

Mix it up Monday: Straw phonation explained by the man who made it famous – Dr. Ingo Titze

It seems like everyone is using straw phonation and for good reason – it works. However, do you know why it works? Today, I am sharing a series of videos … Continue reading

October 30, 2017 · 4 Comments

Pedagogical Musings: “You must learn to sing classical first”

There have been a number of posts on the Facebook Professional Voice Teachers group claiming that you must teach students to sing classically first. I responded with the post below … Continue reading

October 25, 2017 · 2 Comments

Mix it up Monday: “Important to” vs. “Important for”

I just returned from the 3rd annual Pan-American Vocology Association Symposium in Toronto, and I must say it was one of the best conferences I have been to in a … Continue reading

October 23, 2017 · 2 Comments

Mix it up Monday: Moving away from fear-based pedagogy

I have a five-year-old and a ten-month-old. They are absolutely adorable 90% of the time, but the other 10% of the time it is like watching a Mogwai turn into … Continue reading

October 16, 2017 · 8 Comments

Mix it up Monday: The acoustic reflex OR “why does everyone sing louder than me?”

If you work with opera singers or belters, you have probably encountered a student who does not understand how loud she is when she sings. I was one of those … Continue reading

October 9, 2017 · 3 Comments

Ranked the #1 New Release in "Vocal and Singing" on (October 2014), "So You Want To Sing Rock 'N' Roll?" covers voice science, vocal health, technique, style, and how to find your artistic voice in a way that is beneficial to both singers and teachers. Order your copy today!


Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 350 other followers